FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:59 pm
DJ_Iceman

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I have mixed feelings. I definitely feel for hotel operators and staffs in these unprecedented times, and am willing to cut them a lot more slack than I normally would.

On the other hand, I also feel that hotels should be rolling out the red carpet to ANY guests right now, and especially elite members of loyalty programs. As I've said in other threads, this crisis offers properties an opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to hospitality.

Flipping the coin again, though, hotels are really screwed here. A previous poster said it would be nice to come into their room and find a bottle of wine on ice. I agree, but I can just imagine the over-the-top thread started here by a COVID-phobe along the lines of "How DARE they have someone in my room and leave a virus-riddled bottle of wine?!" Or, "I don't drink and wish they had just taken $10 off my room rate." Or, "They left a cheap bottle of swill that I just dumped down the drain--don't they value my business enough to give me a better bottle than that?!"

And regarding free breakfasts, which I still can't wrap my head around why people care so much, some people here need to reevaluate how "elite", loyal, and important to a hotel's bottom line they really are if they're going to make stay decisions based off whether or not they get a free muffin and coffee in the morning. Hotels may be happy to shed such folks to other chains, even in a pandemic with occupancy levels so low.