FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can BA tie me to a voucher even if they told me I was ineligible?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:35 pm
Confus

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Would they not automate the value calculation for 99% of uncomplicated fares ?
Fare (re-)calculations are complex more often than you think, with a variety of different fares, taxes and charges that are applied based on country/airport of origin and destination, age of traveller, etc. Some charges are at document level (thus cant be pro-rated), others are at coupon level, and when you throw in other carriers it gets even more complicated still, given the mechanics of YR/YQ (non-)sharing, etc.

With this in mind, it’s not something they’ve ever had to do before, as volumes have always been low. Of course now is showing the limitations of that, and I’m sure ideally they would automate a lot of it. BUT this takes time and (especially) resource, which they don’t really have. The build would be done by the same people who are working flat-out to make the voucher proposition work, including converting the remaining FTVs to e-vouchers and providing the functionality to use multiple vouchers against one booking and through different channels (e.g. NDC). While you can buy-in IT resource relatively easily (if not cheaply), there just isn’t a pool of people with knowledge of airline fares, IATA ticketing standards and Amadeus functionality sitting waiting in the wings to pick up a big new idea.