FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Ever Flights
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:59 pm
charlesrhona

Programs: BA Bronze
Best Ever Flights

Given what is happening in the world I think it is about time for a bit of nostalia.

Some 21 years ago I had to visit the Orkney Islands every 6 weeks. the return jorney to ABZ on one trip was one never to be forgotten. If I remember correctly the route was run by Loganair under a franchise agreement with BA. On the return leg to ABZ the pilot announced that we had plenty of time and would give us a short tour of the islands before heading south. We headed off westwards over Scapa Flow at a height of about 2000 feet and with the sun shining we could clearly see the silouhettes of the German scuppered fleet in the water below. We then followed the west coast at almost below cliff height to see the Old Man of Hoy before heading back to ABZ.

2 weeks later I was returning to Glasgow with Loganair from Stornoway which I also had to visit every 6 weeks. Once again the pilot said he had time on his hands and because it was dlear blue skies would fly us at lower than normal flights to take advantage of the fantastic scenery. It was clear blue skies and his route took us at lower levels over Torridon before he headed slightly west that took us over the Cuillins of Skye, then across Knoydart before dropping height, over Ben Nevis and then through Glencoe, over Ben Lomond and into Glasgow - alll at low level in clear skies. As an avid hillwalker it was great to see these mountains from a different perspective.

Wonderful and never to be repeated flights.

Last edited by charlesrhona; Sep 12, 2020 at 1:21 pm