FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Extended Tour of Duty since the C19 Scare
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:59 am
Loose Cannon

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
First Interstate Trip since C19; Mile High City to the Lone Star State

Tour of Duty 21st July 2020 to 22nd August 2020
Part II: 24th July to 29th July

Friday 24th July I awoke in Denver. I made ready then got transport to the shipper. I checked in and was given the keys to the truck and was told where the truck was located. I loaded my gear then did pre trip safety inspection. I discovered a hole in the hood. I had no idea of the cause of the hole but I took pictures with my phone and reported it to Dispatch and made a notation on the Inspection Sheet/Bill of Lading and I also reported the damage to the shipper. Rain started to fall while I waited but I finally got word to proceed.

My ride from Denver, Colorado to Corsicana, Texas

Trip: Denver, CO to Corsicana, TX 832 paid miles
Make: 2020 Kenworth
Model: Cab and Chassis
Transmission: Automatic
Governed Speed: 75mph
Route: Interstate 70 to Interstate 225 to Interstate 25 to US87 to Interstate 40 to US287 to Interstate 35W to Interstate 20 to US287 to Interstate 45 to US287
Maximum elevation: 7,834 feet Raton Pass Interstate 25 at the CO/NM state line
Highest diesel price USA: 2.399$ per gallon at TA Commerce City, CO
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.359$ per gallon at Pilot Amarillo, TX

Due to the delay waiting for word whether or not to proceed due to the hood damage it was during the afternoon commute period by the time I left. I went to the TA in Commerce City, CO to take on fuel. I then got on the Interstate and headed east on the 70, south on the 225 and south on the 25. I made a pit stop at the Pilot in Monument, CO just north of Colorado Springs. I was not able to get dine in due to fear of the cooties. I stopped for the night in Pueblo. Restaurants were closed by the time I shut down so I phoned up Domino's Pizza for evening rations. I spent the night in Pueblo, CO.

Saturday I stopped and took some pictures of Pueblo, Colorado before proceeding south. I encountered heavy rain north of Walsenburg, CO so I stopped in Walsenburg to wait for the rain to let up. I had midday rations from A&W but it had to be carry out as dine-in was closed. I experienced light rain near Trinidad, CO. The New Mexico Port of Entry was closed so I motored on down to Raton where I stopped and took some pictures of that city before starting my run on US87. I made a brief stop to stretch out in Des Moines, NM. I saw lightning as I approached Clayton, NM. I got chicken tenders for evening rations in Clayton, NM. Again no dine-in due to fear of the cooties. I saw more lightning in Clayton, NM but the storm was to the south. I pulled in to Dumas, TX late and was glad to see that masks were not required at the convenience store in that city.I spent the night in Dumas, TX.

Sunday I had a late start especially due to the time change when entering Texas from New Mexico. The weather was fair with highs in the 90'sF. I took on fuel at Pilot in Amarillo, TX and found the dine-in at McDonald's was closed. I headed south on US287. I made it to Decatur, TX where I spent the night.

Monday I phoned up the receiver and found out they closed early so I would be unable to make delivery that day as I had hoped. I learned the receiver closed at 15h00 and stopped receiving at 14h00. There was some traffic in Ft. Worth. I had late midday rations at Steak n Shake in Ennis, TX. I had late evening rations at Denny's and I spent the night in Corsicana, TX.

Tuesday I drove to the receiver to make delivery. I had to wait along with some other drivers then I though the truck would be rejected due to the hood damage. There was a heavy rain while I waited for an answer. Finally I was told the receiver would accept delivery so delivery was completed. After a wait I got a ride to DAL. En route I learned that I needed to go to Kansas City to take care of some company business as there was a merger or a takeover involving parent companies and among other things, I had to get a new fuel card to be used in August as well as be brought up to speed what else the merger/takeover might entail. There was some rain en route to DAL.

I arrived at DAL and booked my air ticket to MCI. I checked in and checked bags which weighed 46.5 and 36.5lbs. I had the agent enter my Known Traveller Number then I cleared security using TSA Precheck and there was no additional screening.

Southwest #2108 DAL-MCI B-737-700 Boarding Pass A59
Seat 21A Cruising altitude 39,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:05, actual 1:11
Depart: Gate 6 Scheduled 17h40, actual 17h35 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate 38 Scheduled 19h15, actual 19h00 Taxi: 4 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 11-12 minutes after arrival

We boarded by jetway in groups of 10. The capacity controlled load was 54/93. It was announced it was 86F and partly cloudy at MCI but bumps were expected on descent. Takeoff was to the south from a wet runway. I saw traffic congestion and I saw the Cotton Bowl and Fairgrounds. We turned left at 0:02. I saw downtown Dallas and DAL at 0:04. There were clouds then clouds broke and at 0:14 I saw the Red River as we crossed into Oklahoma airspace. At 0:15 I got Snack Mix. At 0:16 I got cup of water and I saw Durant, OK. At 0:27 it was announced the cabin would be cleaned up early due to expected bumps going into MCI. Clouds increased and blocked view. At 0:30 I felt bumps. I felt descent begin at 0:36 over northern Oklahoma. Clouds broke some but we dodged some thunderstorms. Descent was announced at 0:45 and it was announced it was 86F at MCI and we would fly around storms south of Kansas City and ETA was 15 minutes early. Clouds broke again at 0:50. I saw the Missouri River at 1:04. At 1:06 we turned east then south. We landed north to south and arrived at gate 15 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway. After I reclaimed my checked baggage I got shuttle to hotel and I spent the night in Kansas City, MO.

Wednesday morning I got ready and phoned up dispatch and was told that someone would bring a package with the things I needed for the changeover in August due to the merger/takeover of parent companies. I checked out of where I was staying and booked a room closer to where the next shipper was as the next truck was not ready yet. I got transport and arrived at that location and checked in and had a short wait for a room. I was able to do some much needed laundry. There were thunderstorms at times. I had evening rations at Rosedale Bar-B-Q and I was able to enjoy dine-in for the first time this tour of duty. I had a sliced Beef Brisket Sandwich. I spent the night in Kansas City, KS.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 11, 2020 at 2:59 am