FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can TSA search personal items that pose no security risk??
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:53 pm
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - ACLU agrees with me:

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-right...ntain-a-weapon

Keep in mind - ACLU is a prominent organization challenging the status quo. If ACLU says something like this, even not authoritative enough, I would say it is sufficient to be pervasive.

So no - TSA did not exceed its authority.

I believe I did what I should do by pointing out FAM are not your typical TSA TSO.

Indeed. But FWIW - both of them can hold you temporarily until a LEO arrives. So TSO or LEO - it is entirely your choice.

But dealing with TSO - a few minutes delay of your purposed travel. LEO? Kiss your travel goodbye.
There is nothing in the ACLU pamphlet -- which is a pamphlet not a legal opinion -- at odds with what I and others have said. The Officer quite properly found the cards and could look through them. However, questioning OP was a law enforcement task. So, yes, both the Officer and the Supervisor exceeded their remit.

But, as noted, it gains OP nothing to be asked the same questions by someone else who does have the authority to ask the questions.

Further, you also could choose to say nothing to either.