FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong [Master Thread]
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:29 am
littlevoices

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party
Got a 2 night stay booked for next weekend at RC - hopefully, swimming pools are open by then!

Very frustrating Platinum elite doesn't get you access to Club Lounge - what other benefits will I get?

Starting to think maybe I should switch to the W?
Having just returned from the W for a Saturday night stay a few minutes ago, I would observe the following:
No real upgrade (got a nice harbour view, but one level upgrade from the lower room), pool was closed (I was aware, government restrictions) and I had to use my welcome benefit to get breakfast. However, the hotel is back to normal occupancy at weekends, breakfast was a good spread and the Sunday buffet was superb and if you stay is buy-one, get-one free, which is a real bargain (~HKD 500 rather than 900+10%). If staying at the Ritz I would ensure your rate includes breakfast. At the Ritz the choice of food establishments is good and the quality / value is also excellent with 20-30% off for higher tier levels.

Personally I would choose the best rate with benefits/perks ignoring status and then decide, taking an upgrade as an unexpected benefit. It is difficult to compare the Ritz on the 100+ floors and a superb harbour view and world's biggest highest bar, with the W on the lower part of the building (except for the pool at the top) though with friendly staff. It seems the "guaranteed" suite upgrades are vanishing at both as the hotels get busier (on my prior stays at both I had suite upgrades).

Last edited by littlevoices; Sep 7, 2020 at 4:51 am Reason: Fixing mis-identification of bar specialities.. :)