FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada is hiring a new Fraud Analyst for loyalty programs
Old Sep 5, 2020, 11:59 pm
Fiordland

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My experience with "factual reports" like this from AC is that they're rarely factual.

I have no issue with the concept of this position, but I have serious doubts in their ability to execute.

One only needs to go as far back as Super Elite suspended; lawsuit filed but amicably settled out of court to find data that showed someone entering a lounge then canceling their ticket for the 2330 (times made up from memory) departure. The analyst missed the 0030+1 departure that was flown.

I often book myself in CO on the calf on points in J to events. Closer to departure, I verify he can attend. If not, I cancel him.

They might think I'm holding J space for an upgrade. I'm not.

Meanwhile if they've been "analyzing" for a while, I know so many people who have done so many things that should be so easy for anyone remotely competent to catch.

Meh
Is any of this fraud? I would contend that with AC in control of the bank of points, in control of when and how points are allocated to a customer and in control of when points are spent we don't have fraud. What we have are poorly written (and in may cases unpublished) business rules that may have some edge conditions that are not what AC originally intended. That said, AC is the organisation that implemented the rules.

If AC has screwed up on implementing the program it is free to change the program implementation without our approval.