FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:29 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AFAIK very few airlines allow US-ASIA on one award, exception being when booking on the same airline as miles are from. This has to to with with the world being separated into Zones. Zone 1 - the Americas, Zone 2 - Europe/Africa/ME, Zone 3 - Asia/Australia/ Ocenaic. You usually can only travel as a through fare direct from Zone to Zone. If you transit the Zone inbetween (Zone 2 in your case) you usually always must book a broken fare. The ME airlines are the main exceptions. However that means booking with them, which you cant do for OAL mile award.
AA, UA, DL, AS, all allow booking U.S. to Asia as one award, using their own or partner metal. IATA zones have nothing to do with any of this.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
As far as baggage and BPs, QR will check you in across tickets. They will treat you as if your destination on 2nd ticket was your destination on the 1st. (Thus they'll treat you as connecting at DOH, not arriving)
If you have a flight on AA as your first flight (ie domestic flight to PHL), AA only checks when on one ticket or on separate only when there's a request due to medical issue. (Meaning involving right under ACA to require a policy accommodation)
In a post just above your post I explained how to book paid and award flights in one record, which allows through-checking of bags.