FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a sport or private pilot license: where?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:28 pm
Herb687
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suppose a consideration is where you are currently based.
Not at all. Assuming visa considerations aren't an issue, recreational flying is so ridiculously expensive in Europe that many European pilots come to the US to learn to fly and build time and ratings.

If building time quickly is the goal, go someplace with generally clear skies and good weather. Arizona/Southern Nevada fit the bill quite nicely. I would absolutely NOT go to Coastal California (unless you are pursuing an instrument rating in which case the SF Bay Area is absolutely ideal... unless you have a lousy CFII who is scared to fly and teach in actual IMC... if so, fire him/her and find a CFII who has lots of actual instrument time and is not afraid of the clouds).

I'd be a little concerned about learning in Florida just because of the prevalence of thunderstorms that may cause a lot of canceled flights.