FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:07 pm
ATOBTTR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA
The primary reason would be a business traveler who doesn't want to deal with expense report paperwork for their spouse's ticket when bringing them along.
With some companies/organizations it’s not possible to do that. I work for the DOD. There’s no way I can book a flight for my spouse if I book through our travel system, which I’m (usually) required to do.

Another completely valid reason is splitting payment options between tickets. For example, using Pay with Miles. If I want to use PWM miles or miles in general for one ticket and use full cash payment for another, I have to book separate tickets. If I use PWM on tickets booked together, it applies the requested PWM miles amount to both tickets. Other reasons might be booking from different tools. Say I book a DL with Skymiles for me and use Flying Blue miles to book a ticket for my spouse on the same flight. Again, not possible to book the flights on the same reservation in this case.