FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:30 pm
nexusCFX

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We had an aggravating experience with not receiving the 4x bonus for dining at a restaurant. We have finally been given the points after considerable hassle but have been told that the restaurant has the improper SIC code despite it being a code for restaurants and bars. The full story: we ate at Tarpys in Monterey in late July. It has been a restaurant for over 30 years. The bill posted as 1x. We were told that it was not categorized as a restaurant. We spoke to the accountant for the restaurant who said this was the strangest call she had received in her years working there. She directed us to call the parent company. It owns 3 restaurants in the Monterey area. We were given the SIC code and were told that it is a restaurant and bar category. We called AMEX again. After being passed onward to various agents, we were told that the SIC code was changed in early June. The code currently used is for worldwide restaurants. The code that was used earlier is for California restaurants. Finally after considerable pushing and pointing to all our years as AMEX customers with a reasonable volume of purchases, the additional points were given to us as goodwill.
People will tell you that this is an issue with every issuer, but it is still very clearly a larger issue with AMEX than other banks. My CSR has never incorrectly coded a restaurant after many years. When I've called in about coding issues I've never been able to get them to admit to an issue, attempt to resolve it, or offer any goodwill credit. Glad you were able to get compensation, but you can imagine how if this was a restaurant you went to frequently you'd probably have to just switch to another card.