FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:04 pm
JHake10

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
I just don't think that they do.

I haven't gone out of my way to try to find a negative aspect. It's just that this inability to retain residual value is a very big deal for me, and I promise that it's going to be a very big deal for a lot fo other people also, because they're not going to understand it and they're going to get caught off-guard. (There was a post along those lines within the last week, actually).

Furthermore, it feels unfair in a way that the old policy didn't. And keep in mind, there were all sorts of ways to get change fees waived -- from weather waivers to illnesses to schedule changes, etc., and that's not even counting the "one-time exception" that many people seemed to get. So, the $200 saved wasn't always $200 -- sometimes it was $0.
I don’t get this either. Most people on FT will know this and work around it (buying one ways). However, some once a year traveler may get hit with this and learn the hard way. You’d think United would just give you “United Bucks” that expire in a year. This way they have a chance at breakage and they get you to come back to United to spend that credit.