FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:55 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
We’ll find out - the FAQ doesn’t state or imply this - other than saying you won't get a *refund* of the difference. I interpret refund as a cash refund, but maybe they mean no voucher residual either. It is explicit that if you don’t have a new flight you can turn it into a full credit for later.
No voucher residual.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Which is how it works today. And then you can apply partial credit until it’s exhausted.
You will not be able to apply partial credit from these fares until it's exhausted.

Originally Posted by Doppy
Very customer friendly changes.
Actually, IMO, this is a consumer-unfriendly change, unless you're able to buy a lot of $100 tickets, which never would have had any residual value anyway.

Originally Posted by Doppy
Though this cuts into the benefits of being a high tier elite -free confirmed SDC was one of the benefits I valued the most.
That doesn't really seem to have changed much. Confirmed SDC is going to be a big improvement over same-day standby.

Originally Posted by EWRSNA
To avoid the issue with losing residual value couldn’t one cancel the ticket instead of changing it? That would presumably result in a future flight credit that could be used the next time you want to book an equal or more expensive fare. Then to accomplish the change you just book a new ticket.
Yes, that's the only way to work the system. Which is fine, as long as you book flights frequently in your own name. But woe to the traveler who books their once-in-a-lifetime trip somewhere only to find that they need to change it. (And, if this is successful domestically, expect to see it extend internationally as well, where residual values are even more common).

There's an entire thread on "how to get residual value from future flight credit" that has just become mostly impossible.

Originally Posted by username
Remember, UA's pattern has been good news followed by bad news. So, bad news is what I am waiting for.
This is the bad news.

I think people are really, really underestimating this no-residual-value thing. The no-residual-value policy is the primary reason that I haven't booked a flight with United in the COVID era, even speculatively. I don't change flights frequently, but when I do, I frequently have some residual value left over. I don't really like the idea of having multiple vouchers sitting around waiting for the next time I find an expensive enough fare to use it on.

Originally Posted by swag
As far as the price drop, it seems you could cancel and then use part of the credit to get a new ticket to recoup the difference.
Not possible, unless you can convince UA to continue to issue ETCs, which I don't think they will.
Originally Posted by swag
Or if they don't allow that, buy the new ticket with new money and save the credit for a later, pricier trip.
Yes, that's the only approach that would work.