FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:43 pm
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I applaud United for getting out there to do something to increase demand for their product. At the end of the day these days flying is a commodity. What do you give me for the price you are going to charge me? The airline industry in the USA has had some bad publicity over the last few years so while demand > supply they could weather it. Now supply > demand so there needs to be a change in business practices that is good for the consumer that will increase the top line and not be very harmful to the bottom line for United. After all United is there to make money for the shareholders.

However, the cynic in me says remember how wonderful it was when United introduced Plus Points and modified the 1K program as announed by United Insider? We all did a little jig for joy. And then the other shoe dropped (later in the week). Significant increase in spend - a frequent spend program and not a frequent flight program. A number of us who were adversely impacted by the change (yes I am one of them) said too much and United would lose our business and would regret it in the next economic downturn. Well that economic downturn is here. United has lost my business once I have used my Plus Points.

Hope I am wrong about the other shoe dropping with adverse news for United flyers, but good news on Sunday normally means another announcement later in the week that we may not like as much. As I said hope I am wrong.