View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 20, 1:03 pm
dhuey
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm a few months into a dispute with Copa Air. I bought two one-way tickets back in February, San Francisco to Cartagena in October. Copa cancelled the flight in May. Nothing on the Copa website indicated any way to put in for a refund, so I disputed the charge with Amex.

In July, I got a rejection from Amex. Copa claimed that my ticket was nonrefundable, and that as of then, the Panamanian government had not ordered any cessation of flights for October. Oddly enough, that actually bolsters my charge dispute with Amex, since Copa itself is saying that the Panamanian government is not forcing them to cancel flights in October.

I reopened the Amex dispute, this time uploading the May email in which Copa informed me of the flight cancellation for the October flight. I also uploaded a screenshot of the Copa reservations website, indicating that they have no flights from San Francisco to Cartagena on the date of my original itinerary. I also uploaded a screenshot of the USDOT's regulations that require airlines to refund fares paid when they cancel flights, even if the ticket is nonrefundable.

Fingers crossed that the second time does the trick.