FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK<->HKG no longer polar flights?
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:08 am
Hezu

Originally Posted by MaxVO
For the flights going west against the prevailing wind direction, I can't imagine that avoiding the polar route would somehow save on fuel. However that could be done with the opposite intent -- i.e. to test endurance and limits of the new aircraft (A351). Still that's typically the job of Airbus, not a customer airline with paying pax on board. Any "wind" theory along would also not explain such persistent avoidance of Russian and Chinese airspace.

Nicc HK's ideas from Post 2 make sence (i.e. Russian overflight fees, and air force priorities). I suspect those conditions would not affect CX alone. What other airlines normally fly the polar route, and are any of those flights still operating right now? They might provide the confirmation for or against the above hypothesis.
After little reseach on Flightradar24, I found that in recent days EK215 DXB-LAX and QR739 DOH-LAX have taken a polar route, but the corresponding return flights do have taken more southern routing and I believe that sort of routing has been used also on these flights earlier, so there is no guarantee that you will experience polar routing also on future flights. And of course, routing between JFK and HKG via DOH/DXB and LAX might be quite a detour...