FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safest aircraft operation in COVID era: boarding back to front, empty middles, ...
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:05 pm
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by econ
Not sure I follow logic of greater risk by sitting in the back?

If hypothetically only you and two other people are on the WN plane (one in front, one in the exit row) and you choose to sit in the back, that's higher risk than sitting anywhere on the completely full UA plane?
If hypothetically there were only myself and two other people on the plane it wouldn't make much difference, but that isn't reality. If I have an assigned seat up front, I can be assured of where I'm sitting and then board last, then be one of the first off the number of other passengers I pass near is far less. In contrast, if I wait to board last on WN plane that is 60%, I have to pass all of those rows filled with people who have already boarded and selected their seats, then I have to trail behind all of those same people to disembark upon arrival.

Personally, I'm an even bigger fan of the 757 and anything else that boards through 2L these days because then I'm turning the opposite direction of the majority of those on the plane.