FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:37 am
Out of my Element

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Who said anything about bookable palapas? (I didn't, and I've never heard mention of such.)

There are at least four palapas (numbered 12-15... 14 & 15 are in front of building 4). I think there may be others but don't recall. In normal times (and by that I mean during my prior stays ranging from August 2011 through Feb 2019), they are at least minimally serviced -- the pool/beach/bar staff would, for example, bring food & beverage to you. And last year, you could request drinks or towels or whatever via the app. Hard to beat that, lying under a palapa with the waves rolling in just yards away, the soft breeze blowing... and a cocktail on a silver platter materializing out of the blue whenever you want, at the push of a button. Magic.

Now, with covid, the palapas are still there but without any service. Same w/ beach chairs, they are there stacked up but they are not locked down etc., so some guests were using them and the staff didn't seem to mind.
Ahhh. These were there during our visit, but I didn't notice numbers on them nor anyone using them except to jump under during a passing shower. They seemed a bit further from the water than we would have preferred, actually thought they might have a paid market for nicer ones closer to the water with services provided, as the pool cabanas seemed to do a decent business.