FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase discontinuing legacy $75 hyatt card?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:57 am
diesteldorf

Originally Posted by TTT103
This move by Chase makes me wonder if they will be consolidating all of their legacy cards that are no longer being issued sometime down the road. I'm thinking specifically of the $49 IHG card and Ritz Carlton card.
I also thought about the $49 IHG card as you have. At $49, it is worth it preserve my points and get a free night, even if it is limited to 40,000. If it jumped to $89, the value wouldn't be nearly as good, though I've seen many Intercontinentals that are 40,000 and under, but I am guessing that is only a temporary situation because of Covid-19.

I value the Ritz card pretty highly as well, but am less concerned for any potential changes.

Chase may see this product as a potential way to keep valuable, potentially higher spend, customers away from Amex, since some of them would surely defect to the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card (though the Ritz card is clearly better in my opinion).

The Ritz product gives them a loophole to keep and retain these customers, since Marriott has since awarded all basic cards to Chase and premium cards to Amex. It's one of the reasons Amex stopped offering their former SPG/Marriott Bonvoy $95 fee card, but I've heard that Amex will also allow customers to downgrade their Bonvoy Brilliant card to the Bonvoy $95 card if requested, much like Chase will allow customers with a basic Marriott card to upgrade to the Ritz.

Regarding the Hyatt card, I hope it isn't true, but an extra $20 isn't enough to make me cancel. If I travel to Chicago, Boston, or New York, a Category 4 Marriott certificate will put me at an airport hotel on the outskirts of the city or suburbs.

Conversely, there are category 4 Hyatt free-night hotels within city limits, close to downtown. When I went to Paris a couple years ago, I was able to get a room with a great view of the Eiffel Tower that normally went for around $300.00.