FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN kicks autistic 3 year-old and family off plane
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:25 am
Kevin AA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Sorry, the policy says to wear a mask. The policy says masks required. Period. You wear a mask or you don't fly. Period. The "exceptions" were back in June and last month. Now there are no more exceptions. Well I guess you can try Delta and see if their video-doctor will give you an exception. But Southwest makes it clear- no exceptions. Same with Alaska, American, and United.

These parents never should have brought their three year old Autistic child on a flight during a pandemic anyway, that is just putting all parties involved at significant risk. Imagine a screaming kid with no mask on your flight if you were a passenger and the spread of germs from this. This is really bad. Completely irresponsible of the parents to bring a screaming maskless kid on a flight. Inconsiderate of hundreds of other passengers, crew, and others.

These parents and the child should all be put on the "do not fly" list of Southwest.

Who knows, the kid may just have been afraid of flying and the whole situation and would have been terrified mask or not.
It would help if you read about it. The child has sensory processing disorder, not fear of flying.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/woman...ight-face-mask

“No 3-year-old, who is autistic and has sensory processing disorder, is going to put anything on their face,” Sadler argued. “He's supposed to wear glasses. I can't even get him to wear his glasses to help him see. He just doesn't understand. He doesn't like things touching his face, so he's not going to put a mask on.”

The child would not have been screaming if the parents had not been forced to put a mask on him. They flew from Houston to Midland without an issue but the crew decided to be prison matrons going the other direction.

The parent claims a doctor's note trying to get the kid out of wearing the mask. Sorry, that isn't how it works during this pandemic. Your exception is over. And good job wasting a bunch of people's time causing the plane to have to turn back after it left the gate, too. Should be a fine for this to this woman as well.

I do not want to disregard the challenges and difficulties involved with raising an Autistic child and understand this woman is in a stressful situation. Given the significant challenges in having an Autistic child I cannot fathom what kind of an irresponsible parent would bring an Autistic child onto an airplane during the pandemic to take a flight rather than just driving instead. Unless this child requires such an intense level of care that it would not have been safe for her to drive, with the child in the car. And if that is the case, I am sorry, but this woman and this child had no business traveling at all by any means. There is no telling how damaging and demoralizing this whole episode is to this child. This mother should be very ashamed of herself. Instead she is going to the media with the story. Disgusting.
Yeah, the mother should be ashamed of herself, should be fined, and the whole family should be banned from flying Southwest forever. Why not tie them up and burn them all at the stake too! My goodness....