FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can ground agent staff refuse you boarding flight? /AEGEAN AIR
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:39 am
giorginho

Whether our fellow here will end up getting a refund or some Form of compensation is one thing, but I think most of you are being pretty harsh on him. It's down to one little and probably very simple typo (if he doesn't want to disclose the exact details, let's assume his name is Edward and the name on the document was printed as Ewdard). I mean I've certainly had at least a 2 occasions in the (pre-covid) past when issuing tickets with Aegean, where my wife's ticket was issued once with her being a "Mr." and another time with her first and last names in place of one another. I also made the "mistake" of anxiously mentioning that to the check-in agent and both times their reaction was something like "ah, that's nothing, don't worry, here's your bag tag, have a nice flight"!
Especially since issues with these forms are well-known I think the employee should have cleared the man through with an infinitely small risk of the Greek authorities denying him entry because of the "typo" and forcing Aegean to fly him back (if you know your Greek authorities you know they will be understanding about something like that, it's not like the Form was missing, like in cases where they've sent people back and were perfectly right in doing so)! What will be quite difficult will be to prove that the flight was overbooked and that him being denied to board was a deliberate action in order to facilitate their situation. Which, if true, constitutes a scam in my book (though I don't want to believe anyone at the airline would willingly act like that and take such a huge risk, intentionally treating someone like that, with such an agenda).
I wish the op good luck with this complicated and difficult case.
PS. You are right about the "moral lesson" in this story though: Don't test your own luck!