FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can ground agent staff refuse you boarding flight? /AEGEAN AIR
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:09 am
adrianelvn

Programs: Delta, United
Can ground agent staff refuse you boarding flight? /AEGEAN AIR

Hello all, I had a recent terrible experience flying from Paris to Heraklion with Aegean Airlines. I was flying with my daughter and her boyfriend. The Greek government requires all passengers to fill out a "QR code" document 24-48 hours before taken a flight to Greece, which I did. The problem is the website bugged (and I found out afterwards I wasn't the only one with this problem) and misspelled my first name (all other information on my daughter, passport details etc was fine). I explained this to the check in agent at Charles de Gaulle and she refused me access, despite must protesting on my part. She said you'll just get sent back. I ended up having to pay for another much more expensive flight the next day, and my daughter was put in danger as I was supposed to be driving the rental car (late at night, dangerous mountain roads). It created a huge amount of stress for us all.

I later learned that the QR code was not checked at any point in any airport, and indeed, when I travelled after having done a new code (TWICE, because it bugged once again and sent back the wrong birthdate!), no-one even cared about the code, in Paris, Zurich or Heraklion.

I learned from other passengers , who checked with their respective embassies , that the check in agent had absolutely no right to refuse me getting on the plane. That if I wished to go and risk a fine in Greece that this was my prerogative. Other passengers I spoke with didn't even bother to do the QR code and police allowed them to do it upon arrival in Greece.

I'm really pissed off about this and intend on getting a refund and having them pay the other flight.

I would appreciate any comments, especially from those with similar experiences.

Oh, and by the way, another one of her colleagues told us that the flight was "overbooked" and that they were "looking for every reason to find space" (ie, my experience ). So I bet they "bent" the rules to get another overbooked passenger on board.

Last edited by adrianelvn; Aug 11, 2020 at 5:16 am Reason: update