FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:24 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I like the family account and YQ elimination for AC operated flights.
It's not clear to me, from reading the published documents, whether it's just AC or every airline..

We cover cash surcharges.

On any Air Canada flight you purchase with points, we have eliminated additional airline surcharges. That could save you hundreds of dollars in cash at checkout. In fact, only taxes and third-party fees (such as airport fees) are listed in cash, and you can use your points to cover those, too.

If you’re booking a flight reward on another airline, there is a flat Partner Booking Fee of just $39 (per ticket) – which you can also cover with points.
That really sounds like there's only a $39 fee.

I also need to see how the YQ elimination on AC flights works out in reality - will they charge a higher amount of points due to their implied message that AC rewards will actually be a blend of fixed-mileage and market-fare points required? Or did I get that wrong?
You can book Standard, Flex, or Latitude (or PY/J Lowest/Flexible). And every seat will be available for redemption. So it wouldn't surprise me if the extra miles were entirely due to you booking a seat that would never be available for redemption under the old scheme.

This is a significant reduction in benefit.
Yeah, that one definitely sucks, but I understand it. If you want YYZ-YVR-SFO with YYZ-YVR having I9, and YVR-SFO having J1 C0, you can buy a J fare to get J on both, or you can book a P fare with Y (or more likely M) on YVR-SFO. If you wanted J, you could have paid for J.

There's a lot of stuff I am fairly confident about that wasn't clear on the website.

"Status members can often book flight rewards for even fewer points."
"Primary Aeroplan Credit Cardholders can often book flight rewards for even fewer points."

Does that mean the 110k redemption is going to be 109k for an SE with the CC, or will it be 70k?