FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions about Mexican customs, bringing multiple smartphones, electronics
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyingSloth

Question Questions about Mexican customs, bringing multiple smartphones, electronics

I've been to Mexico 3 times. Each time I spent a month or two. The last time was in 2016. It seems like a long time ago, and I forgot many things.

I remember last time I went I was worried that customs would find my extra cell phones. As I have no permanent home in the U.S, so I pretty much carry everything with me. I read several years ago that if you have extra electronic devices that Mexican customs will try to charge you money for it on the spot? Is that still true? For example, right now I have a lot of electronics. All things that I use and all things that I'd like to bring to Mexico..
1 labtop
1 tablet
1 Nintendo Switch
3 smartphones.. 1 I use, 1 backup, and another older one I haven't been able to sell
1 Kindle
1 mp3 player

Mainly I worry about being charged for the extra phones.. but I also need to bring the backup with me as I use it as an audio device and also a backup if something happens to my main phone.

Also, I have a medical problem with my eyes.. and have around 40 bottles of eye drops that I bought before leaving Asia.. I would bring those with me to Mexico. Will they try to charge me for the eye drops by (falsely) thinking that I am importing them to sell?

Does Mexico even still mess with people just for bringing extra phones?

I'm also bringing a lot of nutritional supplements.. I take like 25 different supplements.. vitamins, herbs, minerals, etc. for my eyes and for general health.

I had an experience my last time arriving to Mexico whereas I got the "red light" for further inspection.. and I felt they were giving me a hard time about all the supplements I was bringing.. and became afraid they were about to charge me hundreds of dollars in "taxes" for carrying the mostly already opened supplements with me. Just wanted to get other's experiences and see whether it's still the same?

and checking also since I'm not up-to-date on all the latest information. It's still okay for U.S citizen on tourist visa to fly to Mexico City right? Do I need a return ticket? I'm planning to fly one-way since I don't know when I would like to return to the U.S.

I'm thinking about going to Mexico because I have a few good friends there and costs are much more affordable. I need an affordable place to live. I just came back to the U.S a month ago, and stressed everyday about cost of accommodation here in the Pacific Northwest. I genuinely miss Mexico too.. the people, food, and friendliness. I wish there were not a pandemic.