FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:10 pm
LIH Prem

Originally Posted by nomad420
Looks like I just made it then, leaving tomorrow AM. Again from the sound of it you can fly inter-island you just have to quarantine right? Although not sure how many flight will now be running, probably just enough for "essential travel". The beach restrictions are a bit of a bummer but I have access to semi private remote beach area that I can't imagine would be shut down as it is not a state beach park. Still trying to figure out much of what went down yesterday.
right, there is no "travel ban" and calling it a "travel ban" is a fabrication. It's purely political commentary, not surprising given the source.

The new 14 day quarantine applies to travelers leaving Oahu and flying to other islands. If you are flying between islands, not including Oahu, if they are still operating those flights, there is no mandatory quarantine. That's my understanding. I don't know if there's an exemption for simply connecting at HNL or not. The idea is to prevent spread from Oahu. Two Oahu based construction workers were recently tested positive after spending the weekend on Lanai. They are attempting to stop that.

Edit: My understanding as of this moment: 14-day inter-island quarantine is exempt only for arrivals on Oahu. All other i/i arrivals require a 14-day quarantine, including routes that bypass Oahu like OGG-KOA.

Also the Governor did not close parks or beaches or ban team sports. That was done by the City of Honolulu. I believe the Gov has to approve the plans, but does not implement them and the request came from the City and it applies to Oahu.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:51 pm