FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA's New Automatic System for Upgrades and Standbys
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:48 pm
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
On the whole, I favor computer sweeps. However, the fairness and efficacy of a computer sweep depends upon what the computer knows - garbage in and garbage out.

We all know that UA's computer doesn't know everything and, sometimes, one bit of it knows one thing and another bit doesn't know that same thing. Also, we all know that UA's computer simply has no space for requests, however reasonable they may be (examples such as preferring recline to leg room, or wanting to sit with a companion on a different PNR).

A gate agent can easily accommodate such things - a badly programmed computer cannot.
Originally Posted by DELee
Bingo.

David
This is where you really do want United to lift their game. I remember way back you could put in seat preferences (not United but OALs) in your profile and they generally got honored unless someone had already been allocated the seats.

I personally like row 1 windows on most planes except the smaller aircraft where I like row 2 (single seat) so I can put my carryon under the seat in front of me if the overhead is full.

In coach I like the exit row window with full recline and second choice is window closest to the front of coach.

🗯 I think it should be very possible for United to provide a program that can allow you (the pax) to input seat preferences based on type of plane/class. They could then run the program and if no input by pax the default as indicated. Then again what would I know? 🤔