FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Rockies
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:49 pm
tdiddy23

Moraine lake lodge is another in a nice setting that you can drive to. The food in their restaurant is poor but cabins are nice. I am staying at Emerald Lake lodge later this summer can report back with a comparison. Banff springs and Jasper park lodge are uninspiring to me, although the later is the best option in Jasper from what i hear. Post hotel has far better food than Fairmont lake Louise but doesn't have the views as shown above. Cathedral mountain lodge i've heard good things about their restaurant, it is near emerald lake lodge.

Involving helicopters makes things much more interesting. Durrand glacier chalet we just returned from and was amazing (although a bit further west than Rockies). There were several guests in their 80s. CMH buggabos has really nice packages for all abilities of heli hiking and relatively comfortable lodges (for some elderly guide was telling me it could be as simple as helicopter to an alpine meadows for lunch then back to lodge) . Assiniboone mentioned above, stellar location. Purcell lodge is another of the more comfortable upsacpe options, i haven't been to the later three (although hoping to take MIL to CMH next summer and have hiked through assiniboine). In a normal year the main hot spots near banff are filled with hordes of tourists so i think the experience in these lodges is vastly superior overall.

I think you'd probably be best suited to fly into Calgary, head to lake Louise area and base there for a few nights, then head to a helicopter access lodge and return to Calgary to fly out. Add on Jasper and icefields parkway if you have time

Last edited by tdiddy23; Aug 5, 2020 at 6:15 pm