FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Contact tracing: Whom do you trust - Dr. Henry or AC?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:44 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
Since an email isn't sufficient to do contract tracing, then I assume you are agreeing that the current AC system and the passenger manifest are insufficient for contract tracing purposes?
I don't agree that an email isn't sufficient. I think it's better than a phone. If an unknown number calls me, I'm unlikely to answer. If an unknown email emails me, I'll still see the subject, and can then make a decision as to open it.

In my experience, younger crowds are much less likely to answer a phone call than older crowds. There isn't going to be a one-size-fits-all solution.

Originally Posted by ridefar
Even a single phone number is not sufficient. Somebody could provide their home (land line) number and not their cell when travelling.

Mobile # and destination address and alternate contact with same detail would seem to me to be a reasonable minimum. How hard would that be to collect at checkin? I don't know; you probably have a lot better grasp of that than I do. I know the actual programming would be fairly trivial, but it is the privacy, infrastructure, db modifications, etc. that are the rub.
They already have a field in OLCI that asks for a number you can be contacted at during travel. They could easily make that mandatory. It doesn't require any other modifications, as it already gets stored on the PNR.