FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience in during COVID [mask mandate etc]
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:16 pm
WannabeSE

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I'm not a resident of Europe but I fall under the family exemption which allows for unrestricted travel for immediate family members of EU citizens. I checked this beforehand using TIMATIC as well as an email to the Swiss border ministry, which said that I should also fall under "arriving from Canada" which I guess means since I had no significant stay in the US the transit would have been OK anyway. It was probably safer for you to go through YUL. I had proof of relationship on hand but the only time I needed to produce it was at the gate in ORD. I think I could have fought it just on principle but I didn't want to waste their time. At check in YYC I only had to show a return flight booking (this was a one way Aeroplan booking); passport control in ZRH just asked me how long I was in ORD; no questions at all at the temporary passport control in PRG.
I too booked a one way with Aeroplan, as due to COVID my company is making me take off all of my banked vacation... 2 months of it. That being said, YYC didn't ask about the return flight, but passport control at ZRH did hassle me a bit as I didn't have a return flight, or my first night, or an idea when I was returning. After showing that I indeed had Health Insurance, and was currently employed, I was let through... I don't blame them, I would have asked the same questions - not often do you get someone showing up with no plans.

Speaking of Swiss, their new A340 cabin is nice... It was exactly the same seats as SN 'Boutique' business class. That being said the hard product on AC's 777 or 787 is better due to the additional room.