FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If I can bring 12 oz bottle of sanitizer through TSA, why not a bottle of Sprite?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:43 pm
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
This is a primary stated reasoning for this change. I would venture that their reasoning is sound that at the moment, Corona virus is a more immediate threat, they have relevant data showing it is an more imminent threat. The science shows that using hand sanitizer consistently can impact the spread, infection rates and by extension cases of illness and death. Sprite is not in that category. So it is reasonable to adjust the regulations (at least temporarily) for hand sanitizer. Based upon the forecasts from the folks that I trust the most, this change could be in place for months, if not possibly year(s). COVID is not going away any time soon, and even if a workable vaccine is developed and produced, it will take time to distribute and make a noticeable impact on the numbers.

The more perplexing question is, will the new CT xrays (rollout time frame not completely determined) be workable to change the LGA bans completely, or just a little? I personally would love to see the changes go broad spectrum, but there may be resistance to it, or a technical reasoning that would prevent it.
As I said upthread, medically necessary LGAs have always been exempt from the 3-1-1 rule (though you can ask several FTers about their first-hand experience with trying to bring through a medically necessary liquid in quantities over 100ml). The current crisis has simply led TSA to show wisdom born of fear by reclassifying hand sanitizer as a medically necessary LGA. I suspect it was never expressed in those exact terms, but that's what has happened.