FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you apply for a refund with Aegean?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:08 am
Knobbgb

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by eagle4121
Both the Greek government and Aegean are in breach of EU law for not refunding passengers.

Here is what the EU commission has to say about it:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/inf_20_121“Commission opens infringement proceedings against GREECE and ITALY for failure to comply with EU rules protecting rights of passengers

Today the European Commission launched infringement proceedings by sending letters of formal notice to Greece and Italy for being in violation of EU rules protecting rights of passengers. Both Greece and Italy have taken measures that do not comply with EU rules on air passenger rights (Regulation (EC) No 261/2004) and on waterborne travel (Regulation (EU) No 1177/2010). Furthermore, Italy has taken measures that do not comply with EU rules on bus and coach travel (Regulation (EU) No 181/2011) and rail passenger rights (Regulation (EC) No 1371/2007). Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many companies in the transport sector have been faced with unsustainable cash flows and revenue situations. Throughout this crisis, the Commission has consistently made clear that passenger rights remain valid in the current unprecedented context and national measures to support the industry must not lower them. While the European Commission is also assessing the situation in other Member States by requesting further information on the application of the rules, Greece and Italy have adopted legislation allowing carriers to offer vouchers as the only form of reimbursement. Under the EU passenger rights Regulations, however, passengers have the right to choose between reimbursement in money and other forms of refund, such as a voucher. If they are offered vouchers, the passengers have to agree to this solution. Greece and Italy now have two months to reply to the arguments raised by the Commission, otherwise the Commission may decide to send a reasoned opinion.”
Ooof! The dreaded "reasoned opinion". That'll teach em!

I had referenced these ongoing 'discussions' between the EU commission and Greece in my most recent communication with A3, so maybe the key to getting a refund is letting them know that you know how those laws work and aren't willing to back down. The document in the link above is dated 2nd July so, in my case, the refund came three weeks after that (if it's relevant at all). My last email to them was at the end of June.