FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:37 am
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I have always enjoyed your posts here and on AFF. Thanks for the TR.

I had my birthday dinner at the PH as the Covid restrictions were easing. We were a party of 10 in the Private Dining area of the Dining Room.

There was no-one at the front of the hotel when we arrived. They weren't offering valet parking. The front desk staff recognised me and said they're not allowed to drive my vehicle but I could park it in the driveway.

While dinner was good, as you say we don't expect it to be mind-blowing, the three font desk staff were also helping serve the tables. I did speak to a senior staff member who stated that most F&B and other staff had been laid off. They did a great job on a skeleton crew. I did ask how they were handling breakfast when they were doing it via in room dining and the direct quote was "an unmitigated disaster."

The table cloths have been gone for years as part of an environmental (and no doubt, cost cutting) measure.

Unlike the others you are correct that the hotel offers Butler service, it is advertised. But this service is like some StR where it's simple someone assigned to your floor who handles room service, brining items to your room etc. Most people do not realise it's Butler service or request packing, unpacking etc.

I know the current Prive offer is a steal and it's clear why. They made a choice not to close, which I admire, but as a result they aren't operating as they usually are. I do agree your Prive agent should have notified them of your birthday and double checked with them the day prior or on arrival.

I have set my expectations accordingly for an upcoming stay. You should consider getting your TA to reach out to the hotel, after all that is their job and it seems they may have failed you twice. The GM is great and very responsive to feedback.
I had no idea they offered a butler service. Definitely an exception to the PH norms.

It sounds like they couldn't have done better for OP considering they have FD staff helping out in the Dining Room.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 3, 2020 at 8:24 am