FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience in during COVID [mask mandate etc]
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:15 am
YYCCL3

Originally Posted by WannabeSE
Are you a resident of Europe? I was scheduled on the same route but my interpretation of the transit rules did not allow me to go via the USA. Instead I took YYC-YUL-ZRH-PRG. The LX long haul between YUL-ZRH was amazing, and there were 4 passengers in Business. Much better way to cross the pond than AC.
I'm not a resident of Europe but I fall under the family exemption which allows for unrestricted travel for immediate family members of EU citizens. I checked this beforehand using TIMATIC as well as an email to the Swiss border ministry, which said that I should also fall under "arriving from Canada" which I guess means since I had no significant stay in the US the transit would have been OK anyway. It was probably safer for you to go through YUL. I had proof of relationship on hand but the only time I needed to produce it was at the gate in ORD. I think I could have fought it just on principle but I didn't want to waste their time. At check in YYC I only had to show a return flight booking (this was a one way Aeroplan booking); passport control in ZRH just asked me how long I was in ORD; no questions at all at the temporary passport control in PRG.