FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Eva Air Adds Booking Service Charge
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:23 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Well, there isn't a DOT version of CAA is Taiwan so the airlines are only being overseen by CAA.

As of current, complaints in relations to airlines are actually being sent to FAA if the ticket is purchased directly with airline (if via travel agency it goes to Tourism Bureau).

Obviously if its regarding to a flight to US I'd rather go to DOT or quote EU261 if applicable for a Euro-bound flight.
Note that you were mostly correct. As per the Civil Aviation Act Article 55;
Civil air transport enterprise shall notify MOTC through CAA regarding its tariffs for passengers and cargo on international scheduled air routes. For those tariffs on domestic scheduled air routes, shall notify MOTC through CAA to approve the ceiling and bottom tariffs. The same procedure applies in the event of rate changes.
Rules governing the utilization of tariffs, preferential proposals, application procedures for approval, effective day and any other relevant matters shall all be formulated by MOTC. (
Ministry of Transportation and Communication)

I mention the above because the MOTC relies on the tariff when there are disputes. This then brings us back full circle to CAA because the CAA has to approve the tariff. The question is, does the service charge get included in the tariff? Although at the end of the day, I expect BR is expecting us to just accept the charge since it is so small. In fairness, it is reasonable because they have to provide a service and the sale is what covers the cost.