FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mandatory valet parking - COVID concerns
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:08 am
AlanInDC

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Good idea, but it probably won't work. According to the website, that garage is only open 8am to Sunset.

https://www.collierparks.com/collier...lt-beach-park/

While it doesn't specifically say it, I'd imagine overnight parking isn't allowed. You'd likely be ticketed and/or towed. At least that's how it works in the city garages here in Fort Lauderdale.

I worked in hotels for well over a decade. I worked in a number of jobs, including Front Desk, Manager-on-Duty, and Night Manager. I took tons of complaints in those positions.

Does a complaint from an important meeting planner and/or large corporate client of the hotel carry more weight? Of course it does.

Yet, that fact doesn't mean that complaints from an individual traveler aren't tracked. As a Manager-on-Duty/Night Manager, if a guest tells me they are never returning because of "X" reason, that interaction was recorded in the report that got distributed to all department heads.

Over time, if those department heads figure out that multiple guests aren't returning because of that problem, something might change.

I agree this is a puzzling position for the hotel to adopt right now. The only thing I can speculate is that the union contract states that all parking must be handled by valet employees. During contract negotiations, I could see the hotel agreeing to that stipulation. (Someone would have had to have incredible forethought to add a "except during global pandemics" clause.)

I'm with the other posters that say you should choose a different hotel.
That's a good point. Also could be that the hotel actually contracts with a company for valet services and that contract requires only valet and no self-park. (same thing but not necessarily union-related).

I agree that I would insist on self-parking. Similarly, I would beg off bell services -- don't need someone handling my luggage and coming up to my room. I don't think the added risk is high, but no reason to take it unless there are unusual circumstances.