FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Security Heathrow Hand Sanitiser
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2020, 8:49 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Formally they haven't let go of the 100ml rule, and it goes into the liquids bag - that's quite a reasonable amount of sanitiser really, a standard 50ml tube or two is more practical than anything bigger. Typical use is 1 to 3 ml per go. Theoretically you could take 20 such tubes in the liquid bag, to the exclusion of anything else, more than that has to go into checked luggage. Having said that:
- I have seen UK security staff turn a blind eye to 100 ml bottles outside the liquid bag, particularly with family groups, though this can't be relied upon
- You don't really need sanitiser when travelling, it's in hotels, shops, restaurants, everywhere I've been (Europe and USA), and can be easily purchased overseas, and invariably cheaper too.
- Boots in T5 and similar stores in other airports have plenty of stock now
- LHR has hand sanitiser units almost everywhere (oddly I haven't found one in the immediate vicinity of the tray handling areas by security airside).
- BA on board is loaded not just with the personal kit bags, but there are usually copious quantities on board in larger containers.