FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Resuming Operation at Gatwick?
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:01 am
TWCLAM

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
Indeed. Just had a look on expertflyer and looks like its going out with a decent load today in all cabins.

I've long thought( during this crisis) that airlines, globally not just BA, are focussing in the wrong direction to a certain extent. IMHO right now their main source of income is the leisure traveller and not the business traveller. Yes 100% of course it is those cash cow corporate travel contracts and business travellers who to an extent have long offset leisure travel but right now it's those leisure travellers who, after being cooped up for months, are determined to get away and hell be damned with the risk that are going to fill those planes. I think with all their market intelligence they have collectively misread the g-pop's desire to fly again. If for no other reason than a change of scenery whilst their lives are restricted in one way or another. Our own personal commitment to getting away has seen us have 8 changes on one booking and still not give up then we simply changed the country we'd go to and when that looked unfavourable we still didn't give up and changed to another continent. Even at the height of things, and with myself on the 'at risk register' we still had a lengthy discussion about going ahead with Sardinia in early June if we were allowed to fly. I can't imagine we are the only ones with this approach.

Moving forward I think corporate travel will take a nosedive after this with major blue chips saying they have no plans for staff travel for the remained of the year and having data to show that meetings can work when done remotely( yes I don't doubt there are companies out there saying the opposite). I totally agree that some meetings really do need to be done face-2-face but companies looking to save money now have a clear avenue to saving some pretty quickly so airlines need to be focussing on getting leisure travellers back on board. I think BA's VERY 'Easyjet esque' flash sale promo shows them finally picking up on the side of the market they need to be focussing on right now because it will be leisure bums on seats that probably make the difference this year not the corporate accounts.

This is simply my opinion, I don't profess to be an expert and am sure there's things i've missed