FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hawai`i Residents - Impacts from COVID-19 and Current Situation in Your Areas?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:58 pm
LiquidHonesty

Changed greatly. I'm on Maui and I work in Hospitality, I'm thankful to still be employed but on a reduced work week/pay. However, 80% of my friends here have all been without jobs since March. They have finally all gotten their UE checks coming in but some of them it took months. The sad part is when they finally let us re-open, occupancy will be about 30% of what it was, which means they'll only call back 30% or less of the workforce. So many restaurants and stores have already gone out of business and will be gone for good.

The biggest problem for me is my wife and I can't go visit our families on the mainland without having to quarantine for two weeks on return. Financially we can't afford that, and wouldn't qualify for UE as we traveled knowing that would be required. We have never had "island fever" here before.......but now it's showing it's face.

The fallout from the shutdown in Hawaii will be MUCH worse than COVID could have been. People will die due to both, COVID isn't a guaranteed death sentence but shutdown is a guaranteed economy death sentence. Our Hawaiian "leaders" have been useless and have failed us. Sure we have low COVID numbers, but the cost is far too great. I realize I'll probably get blasted saying I just want people to die and I don't care about the kapuna. Realize that's NOT true at all, and the fact that someone thinks it's so black/white is sad.