FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2020, 2:10 pm
Sandeep1

Originally Posted by not2017
I have read this whole thread. We did a very similar trip in March/April 2019. We had our return flight out of Tokyo/NRT. Instead of doing the Shinkansen, we flew out of Osaka/Itami Airport. We had used Virgin miles and ANA would not give us a return from Osaka at all. Thru my trip research, I found that Osaka's domestic airport, Itami/ITM was very convenient to the city. Even better were the airfares. We paid one way airfare from ITA to NRT, of only $73. Which is far cheaper than the Shinkansen fare and put us into our outbound airport. I mention this because your plan of getting back to Tokyo is more work than we did. If you flew, this would allow you an extra night in Osaka. Allowing you to see that city as well. But, I am still wondering if you are still doing this trip, considering Covid-19?
Nothing wrong with that plan if one thinks it works better for them. Personally, I absolutely love the Shinkansen and it's a lot less hassle than having to go to an airport and go through that whole ordeal, especially for a very short flight. But I can see why it might make sense in a few circumstances.