FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL 2Q 2020 Earnings - $7B Loss
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:35 am
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The 73G retirement is also somewhat surprising to me considering that they are only ~10 years old and share a common type rating/parts with the 738/739, but perhaps they are coming up on a heavy check and DL just wants to dump them instead. Surprised we still haven’t heard anything from corporate on the 717 future other than half the fleet will be parked next summer, but I guess DL is probably still working with Boeing on the future of the lease agreements and I assume they will be the next fleet to go.
I suspect the 717 piece is potentially tied to the 737Max trial balloon that came out earlier this year. Unless DL is adding the 787 to their fleet, there's nothing else in the Boeing stable since the NGs are no longer in production. The only viable pathway forward is the 737Max and I suspect at a minimum, DL is waiting to ensure re-certification is fully approved and perhaps more order cancellations from AA and others so DL can snag them at bargain basement pricing (if they decide to go that direction).

I also completely overlooked the mention in the press release that DL will be retiring "portions of the 767-300ER and A320 fleets in 2020" -- that's the first I've heard. The 767-300ER makes some sense with the A359 and the fact they haven't been refurbished. The A320 is a real shame -- that's a great plane, really enjoyed flying it a few times on RDU - SEA and v.v. in multiple classes (Exit Row, C+, and F). Much more comfortable for than the 738s and 739s that show up during peak travel months on the transcons.