FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:29 am
kb1992
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Here is the upgrade story on the date of July 8th.

Upon boarding my 7 am IAD-SFO flight, I checked the seat map of UA 857 and saw 5 J seats still unassigned, and the upgrade list showed 55 booked and 4 blocked. I was optimistic at that point being a GS with B fare, #1 on the upgrade list with still quite a few Y seats available for sale, although I was not sure why 4 J seats were blocked.

For all you experienced upgraders, my questions to you:

1. Why was the person #6 on the upgrade list jumped to the front and cleared upgrade before anyone else?
2. The BRA J person cleared Y waitlist and went ahead of me. I assume this person is also a GS on a Y fare (I had B fare), Is this correct?
Between T-24 and when 857 took off, I was watching the upgrade situation closely.

I was also puzzled why WU J. jumped ahead of you and got upgraded first. It sounds fishy. I am not sure we should only blame some "order" issue with the airport list. The BRA J person's name did not show up on the upgrade list until suddenly he got upgraded. I was assuming he is a GS and changed his ticket to your flight in a last minute. Even that it's fuzzy.

When J was showing 58/60 booked, I wonder why you didn't call GS to grab it. Granted it might cost lot of money, but you were on company travel. One-way J fare was $16K.

Anyway, I won't take such a risk. If upgrade didn't clear the night before travel, I'll cancel and stay home.