FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aman 20% gift card purchase promo
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:20 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I cannot speak with 100% certainty about the future, but only to my experiences in the US:
1) If Aman were to be sold, then the acquiror would have to honor this. If not, then you would have a legal claim against the legal owner and could sue them.
2) In bankruptcy (in the US), the Company would not have to honor it, though they likely would. If someone were to acquire Aman out of bankruptcy, they would likely honor these as well (though they do not have to). If they did not, then you would have an unsecured claim in the bankruptcy courts and be entitled to some % of your claim. FWIW, when the firm I worked at bought a company out of BK last year, we honored all of the Groupon certificates that had been sold prior to our bankruptcy even though legally we did not have to. Generally, the financial cost of honoring these is much less than the reputation risk the Company would take.
There is the complication — even absent bankruptcy by the gift card issuer — that specific properties may for their own reasons decide to refuse to accept gift cards as payment by the time it comes to want to use the gift card at a specific place.