FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My first flight after being COVID grounded --- {just first flight experiences)
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:26 am
SFO 1K

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
At the gate, people attempted social distancing, but as the boarding time approached, the crowd swelled, and it became challenging. I asked to be switched from seat 5K to 1K on this 787. (I noticed on the monitor that certain seats were still available in first class.) There was a GS agent at the desk, but she didn't know how to make the switch. The gate agent who was manning the desk seemed to be overwhelmed as I heard him say into the phone "I need some help up here." After he got off the phone, and before the GS agent alerted him to my request, he upgraded someone to seat 1K. He then sorted out the seat assignments, I ended up with seat 1K, but I felt guilty for requesting the change since it seemed to take forever and took up a lot of time as we were past the time for boarding. (Being out of practice, I forgot to check seat availability earlier in the day. It’s the small things you forget when you haven’t flown in a while.)
I often see a preferred seat become available at the gate. I just switch myself via the United app, it takes a few seconds and reduces the stress level for the already busy gate agents. That said, seat swaps are really simple in their Aero system, so it's troubling hearing that someone didn't know how to do that.