FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My first flight after being COVID grounded --- {just first flight experiences)
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:42 pm
SFO_UGS

Programs: United Global Services
A return to the skies: First flight since March (SFO-IAD) – hot tea is back. :-)

On 3 July, I made my first flight since the last week of March. SFO airport was like a ghost town – not many people for this (or any) early morning flight. At the GS desk, I was asked my destination and when I said “DC,” the agent’s response was “Welcome, Mr. Smith. We were going to meet you at the gate to thank you for your business. You’re the only GS on the flight.” Security was quick – no one was in line ahead of me. Only one Untied Club was open (near the food court), but I passed. I had arrived at the airport just as boarding was about to start. At the gate, everyone who was standing was practicing social distancing. I was the first person on the airplane, so I don’t know what happened at the gate during the remaining boarding process. It was a 737 (5 rows in first) and every seat in first was taken (so much for social distancing on an airplane :-), but lots of available seats in coach. Humorous to me as I don’t see how social distancing is possible when you’re sitting/moving in tight quarters. But, it’s a non-issue for me. If social distancing on an airplane is important to you, you might want to stay home. The FA service was acceptable; though, I always pass on those snack boxes. In the age of C19, it's best to come prepared - I had fruit, nuts, and cheese. As of 3 July, one perk has returned: hot beverages so I was able to have unlimited hot tea during the flight – yeah! :-) (Hot tea went away in March.)

The restroom appeared spotless, which I normally didn’t see prior to C19. I’m still amazed by people who enter the restroom during the flight in their stocking feet! Happened on this flight, as well. I had an aisle seat. The guy at the window seat (age 65-75) clearly had not been on a flight or in first class in a long time. He couldn’t figure out how to recline the seat or how to open the tray table. Nice guy, though. The lady across the aisle, who was wearing a plastic shield over her face in addition to a face mask, used hand-wipes on her chair, the arm rest, the console between the seats, and the fold-out tray table (in addition to her water bottle). When we landed, they had us exit by 5 rows at a time to maintain social distancing. I think that’s silly since I just spent 4.5 hrs. on an airplane, but OK, I can go with it.

Upon arrival at IAD (where face coverings are required), there was a guy who didn’t wear his mask on the shuttle bus to the main terminal. The other passengers were telepathically throwing daggers at him during the brief trip to the terminal. :-)

The return process on 6 July (IAD-SFO) was less efficient. When I arrived at the GS desk in the departures lobby, two GS customer agents (2 guys - couldn't read the name tags) were at the desk. One guy was on the phone (on hold) but didn't bother to acknowledge myself or the guy who came through the rope after me. The second GS agent finishes with his GS customer and then gets drawn into an issue with another United customer service representative who's assisting a non-GS customer regarding a traveling minor. This goes on and on and on; the first GS agent is still on hold (and just holding the phone), the traveling minor issue is plodding along (with the second GS agent and the customer representative) and we're standing there patiently waiting. It was a circus. When the second GS agent finishes with the non-GS/traveling minor situation, he then calls forward the guy who came through the rope AFTER me. But, no matter. I politely informed him that I was next. :-)

Only one United Club was open; near C7. Hot tea was available as were light, single serve/bagged snacks. Alas, no nuts. :-(. People did they best they could with social distancing, but for a moment, it did get crowded. Some people had their face covered at all times; others vacillated if someone sat near/close to them; and others did so once they finished eating or drinking.

At the gate, people attempted social distancing, but as the boarding time approached, the crowd swelled, and it became challenging. I asked to be switched from seat 5K to 1K on this 787. (I noticed on the monitor that certain seats were still available in first class.) There was a GS agent at the desk, but she didn't know how to make the switch. The gate agent who was manning the desk seemed to be overwhelmed as I heard him say into the phone "I need some help up here." After he got off the phone, and before the GS agent alerted him to my request, he upgraded someone to seat 1K. He then sorted out the seat assignments, I ended up with seat 1K, but I felt guilty for requesting the change since it seemed to take forever and took up a lot of time as we were past the time for boarding. (Being out of practice, I forgot to check seat availability earlier in the day. It’s the small things you forget when you haven’t flown in a while.)

The flight was uneventful. I took another pass on the snack box but said yes to the hot tea. During the first hour, my in-flight entertainment didn’t work too well as my screen kept freezing. The FA reset it and it worked slightly better, but not great. Decent selection of films since I like older (pre-1970) movies. FA service was fine. Though, if you were on the other side of the plane, you could not use the rest room on my side. The FAs blocked access through their staging area. Upon landing, we exited the aircraft 5 rows at a time.

All and all, no real surprises. The one thing that annoyed me was the constant and unrelenting announcements about how United was cleaning everything, their CleanPlus program, etc., etc., etc, ad nauseam. Every time the FA used the PA system, he kept repeating it over and over, again. Enough! I got it.

PET PEEVE ALERT ON: When we landed at SFO, I followed two men from first class into the restroom as they were texting. At the urinal, they’re jockeying the phone between both hands and the ear/shoulder. They finish at the urinal (with the phones still in their hands) and walked right out of the restroom without washing their hands!! Men – are – nasty!! WASH YOUR HANDS!!! :-). ALERT OFF.

My next flight was planned for Chicago, but as a Californian, we’ve been locked out of Illinois so that won’t happen for the foreseeable future. Oh well… I think for the remainder of this year I’ll spend time on never-before visited places in California. ;-)!