FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will this be allowed when europe opens?
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:24 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Christopher Mannion
So my gf lives in germany and before all this corona virus stuff, i was planning on staying there for a year.
Can you be a bit more specific about the plans you have drawn up? What visa (if any) have you applied for, or do you already have a Schengen/German visa or residence permit?

From the little info you've given, it seems that you are travelling on a US passport - but that alone is not sufficient to stay for a year in Germany. As such, we need to know how far you have gone with your planning.

I am just trying to get into the country, and I just read news they will be banning the US from entry on july 1st.
As others have pointed out, that is incorrect. All travel into Germany/the Schengen countries was heavily restricted as of mid March. On 1 July, 15 countries had that restriction lifted; the US is not one of them. US residents have not been admissable for going on 4 months already.

However the UK can travel there, so my question is, could i buy a flight to the UK, then buy a flight to germany from there and be fine? Or are they denying any US passports to germany? Not sure how the rules for that would work. Thanks for any answers!
Given that the purpose of your trip appears to be non-essential, then based on the scant information you have given, you will be refused entry to Germany, regardless of where that flight arrives from. Travelling via the UK will not help get you into Germany.