FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 6 weeks of hotel reservations, down to 2 that won't cancel/refund
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:24 am
miadeals

Originally Posted by erik123
You can possibly get a dr's note advising against all non-essential travel due to your medical status/covid. With this you can try to make the insurance claim.
One of our travel parties has a note to that effect (a serious lung condition) but the not does not say "quarantine" on it. I know chase is not looking to pay out millions of claims this year so I imagine you will have to follow every rule to the T. But this could be an option; it just isn't a slam dunk, more of a hail mary.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Can the OP possibly sell the booked reservation for another guest’s use, maybe at a discount? Or add a different guest’s name and let them check it out?

Even if the hotel were to appear overbooked before check-in date, it may not be oversold and available on check in date.

[Redacted OT comment and response]
They will not allow me to; obviously because they have already sold half my nights to someone else and this would cause quite the issue! This is not a hotel, this is a unique villa of which only one exists.

Originally Posted by Turaj
You mention you have not initiated charge backs? Why not? Another poster indicates that option would not work if villa is open and available etc. It is NOT available to this traveler and therefore I think a charge back is worth a try. After repeated attempts to reason with a hotel in France where US travelers cannot enter I got my refund. I would try it on both bookings. Insurance will never help with Covid at least not the US insurance we get. I too verified that my exact room was fully rebooked for my dates. You cannot collect money twice for the same room and a voucher is of no value to me nor do I want to have to wait the 18 months.
Another party traveling with us freaked out and initiated a chargeback against a hotel that wouldn't work with them and it was denied. You can't just chargeback non-refundable hotel rooms without the reason basically being "the hotel itself has canceled your reservation" - they are very difficult to win otherwise. (Maybe you'd have a shot with Amex lol.)

Originally Posted by _fx
You filed with Chase and they denied it? I was under the impression inability to travel due to mandatory quarantine or border restriction WAS covered (while simple disinclination to travel was not).

Quarantine of you or your travel companion imposed by a physician or by a competent governmental authority having jurisdiction, due to health reasons, is a covered event.“

I would assume the Italian government counts as a “competent governmental authority,” and not being permitted to enter counts as a form of quarantine.

Nothing in this phrasing says you must have Covid. I’d argue the clause “Due to health reasons” could be referring to the health of the general public.
We are not technically quarantined by the Italian government - they won't let us in to be quarantined! Had we not been banned, but put on 2 weeks quarantine, we could have won! This move royally screwed us. My point was that *if* one of us got it, we would then in fact be quarantined - however, I bet Chase is going to be fighting these on the grounds that we were not allowed to fly anyways, even if we were quarantined. I'm worried they'll make the same argument no matter which condition is triggered! So this is a hail mary again...it may work? But I imagine Chase (or the reinsurer) is not trying to pay out millions of these claims.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sure you can collect money twice for the same hotel room or airline seat. It happens every day! I’m fairly certain a chargeback will fail but there is no harm in trying.
Sure, provide me compensation for my room. They can refund it tomorrow. Again, this is a unique villa, not an interchangeable airline seat or generic hotel room. The only reason they are attempting this is because of the pandemic.

Originally Posted by pt flyer
First of all. Congratulations on getting most of your refunds back! Major accomplishment. I know that this doesn't make the sting of losing money any easier. You do have good company. Almost everyone who has had to cancel a trip this summer has had some loses. It's not fun, sometimes it feels unfair, but you eventually have to accept that it has happened and move on.
The majority of people on earth have not been horrific during this pandemic so that has helped in our favor. Most humans are empathetic to each other at times like these. There are just some that see an easy profit to be made at others expense. But again, this is a small minority. And I have other losses, these are just my two hotel losses so far. There are plenty of nonrefundable plane tickets as well; we are losing thousands. On top of the thousands in wages we have lost. This has been an absolutely horrific year. In any case, I haven't given up hope yet, I just came here to see if anyone had any other ideas I could try or that hadn't occurred to me.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
OT, but several years ago I had finished an engagement in CVG and was being dropped off at the airport when my phone rang. My boss asked if I could fly to DFW to cover something the next day. Cost did not matter as it was not coming out of our budget but out of the salesperson's budget because she caused the underlying mistake. The salesperson knew the walk-up fare would be high. The flight to DFW was boarding but the check-in agent was able to sell me the ticket for $1,500 o/w. As soon as the agent got the cc approval an announcement was made looking for a volunteer who would accept a $500 credit to fly the next day. The volunteer and I stood at the gate desk together while the paperwork was completed. He told me how great it was that he was getting $500 for a $199 ticket. I told him I was happy that I was able to get to DFW and we both agreed the airline was happy to come out $1,300 ahead of where they thought they would be when the flight started to board. Win-win-win.
That sounds wonderful, I wish that instead of trying to sell my seat and not provide me compensation, they would instead provide me compensation. In fact that is exactly what I am asking. They should see if someone else wants the villa, and if they do, refund me after accepting payment from the other people. Or let me sell my reservation. But weirdly (not weirdly, actually) they won't let me sell it, nor gift it, because it will put them in a huge bind, having profited off a pandemic, having sold the same villa twice.

Last edited by miadeals; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:11 am