FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Meals in Business Class AMS/ORD
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2020, 7:24 am
Billy Mumphrey

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by splflyer
KLM intends to gradually improve( by adding items every 2 weeks or so) on board catering FROM JULY 4TH, with the exception of flights to destinations like DXB/INDIA/PVG, which will keep current product.

on all Longhaul flights ; effective saturday july 4th
WBC on all flights 1 C class tray and additionally the food bag
Drinks still limited, no alcohol A 2nd WBC tray is expected by august . no exact date mentioned.
In Economy ; 1 try service with hotmeal , sealed drinks eg bottles water and cans of softdrinks/juices
Additional food bag and on longer flights sandwich.

Snacks and hotdrinks ( coffee etc) will be available in the galleys.

ON European flights ; effective saturday july 4th

Service will be as on KLC flights offering in EBC;
a bag with coffee and tea and water in the morning and drinkservice and softdrinks gets of the day.
On longer flights a KLC box will be offered.
Its a so called one shot service still limiting the amount of contact as advised by IATA
In economy a sandwich box is offered or on some flights a cake box along with coffee/tea water juices softdrinks all canned.

IN SHORT;

On all longhaul flights a meal tray and additional bags with food drinks; no alcohol served.
On shorthaul a snack with limited drinks. improvement C class offering
Airline intends to gradually add items so information could be incorrect by time you might fly!

Lounges in Amsterdam are open ; and offer also alcoholic beverages as mentioned elsewhere.
Sources internal documents. The company adds its listened to feedback wishes and complaints from crew and passengers resulting into this scheme of upscaling its service with additional items added every 2 weeks or so. TBC ! safe flights
This is good news, and just in time for me! I will check the website after the 4th to confirm.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You should plan on bringing your own food.

KLM offers this service across the board - even on routes where there are cheaper/faster itineraries available. It's mischaracterising KLM to suggest (as it seems that you are) that they are somehow "leveraging" your unwillingness to spend a further 5 hours in transit on another carrier. You'd get the same service even if there was a competitor offering a direct flight for a cheaper price on your particular itinerary.
Yes, I know they offer the same "service" across the board. But they also have the best connectivity on many routes to and within Europe at the moment, and I feel like they can retain customers like me due only to the fact that there are no better alternatives on other airlines. For example, I had the choice to rebook the transatlantic portion on Delta when KLM made a schedule change, but I elected to stay on KLM because the routing and timing was so much better. I'm not trying to suggest they'd offer better service on a route like JFK-AMS because they know Delta is also flying it. My only point was they know they can get away with deeper cuts in catering system-wide because of their good connectivity relative to other carriers.