FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:12 am
Tokyoite

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Seeing that the EU put Japan on the allowed list, I would imagine that they are working hard on getting a reciprocal agreement from Japan. Hopefully things are not that far off.
not gonna happen any time soon. each country on that list has an underlying reason why it is on the list (EU centric reason).
the EU wants Japanese business travelers to resume business work in EU. Trading companies, exporters, importers of tech, pharma, shipping and car related industries.
No such similar hunger from Japan to need EU travelers to resume travel into Japan. Same for Korea.
I live in Tokyo, so I can share the sentiment on the ground.

Here is my view of this EU list.
--------
Business needs
Japan
South Korea
China (subject to confirmation of reciprocity)
- For China, seems EU couldn't say NO, but couldn't say YES either. Too much business travel and tourist travel to lose out on inspite of the risks.
Hence the weird reciprocity clause. No other country has been asked for confirmation of reciprocity it seems.
--------
other than the large immigrant populations from here, wonder why.
Algeria
Australia
Morocco
Tunisia
--------
Just neighbors?! why not all neighbors then?
Georgia
Montenegro
Serbia
--------
Special cases
Thailand - inspite of the high infection rates, the lucrative palace and military VVIPs otherwise wouldn't be able to vacation and spend lavishly in Europe!
(UAE should join this EU list shortly, using the same line of thought)
--------
Plainly, ??? scratch my head.
Rwanda
Uruguay
--------