FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cirque du Soleil files for bankruptcy and cuts 3,500 jobs
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:11 am
writerguyfl

The good news is that multiple entities seem to be interested in the company. According to this Bloomberg article, it's expected that the proposal will be rejected by the creditors and that they will have a counter offer.

The filing starts the clock on a bidding process for control of a restructured Cirque. Quebecor Inc and Cirque founder Guy Laliberte have expressed interest in investing in the company.

"We know there are probably five other parties that will be interested to make an offer," [Chief Executive Officer Daniel] Lamarre said. "The good news today is that we know that someone is committed to ensure the future of the company. And within 45 days, we'll know if someone is willing to invest even more."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...wing-shutdowns

Having Guy Laliberte back as part of the company would be a huge positive in my book. The company really needs to get back to basics and having the founder there would help. I'm a huge fan but every show I've seen since Laliberte left has been "meh" to me.

As far as the Las Vegas shows go, I'm betting at least two close for good. My guess is that Ka is almost certainly history. The massive sets used in the production must be wildly expensive to operate.

The other two on the chopping block are probably The Beatles Love and Zumanity. As time passes, I imagine the draw of The Beatles' music isn't what it was 14 years ago when the show opened. Additionally, I bet Cirque du Soleil is paying a healthy percentage of the profits just for the rights to use the music.

Zumanity just might survive due to the fact that the theatre is small (1,261 seats vs 1,950 for Ka and 2,013 for Love). The production also doesn't depend on expensive sets. Plus, the adult themes do fit well into the Vegas experience.

Finally, I hope I'm wrong, but I expect to see the live bands disappear. They do need the ability to vamp in order to sync some musical climaxes with the actions of performers. But, they can probably do that using a computer run by a single person.