FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated)
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:05 pm
avatexrs

Originally Posted by MelloChatt
Was this recent? I too am thinking of making a speculative aadvantage award booking on JAL for next year, but the details on the refund policy state that the free reinstatement of miles is for american airlines flights only. So I'm worried that they'll charge me for a partner airline.
The place where the policy mentions AA flights only is in the part covering automatic reinstatement:"If your trip is eligible, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online. For all other trips, contact Reservations to have your miles reinstated.

Eligible customers / trips must meet these requirements:
The reservation qualifies for a $0 flight award change / reinstatement fee as outlined on the chart below.
  • Travel is on American Airlines flights only."
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ourawardtravel

There is a separate section further down on that page titled "If your trip is not eligible for automatic reinstatement of your miles, contact Reservations for help with canceling your flight award reservation, requesting mileage reinstatement and paying the applicable flight award change / reinstatement fee." This section does not include the statement about travel on AA only.

Taken together, it appears that the "travel on AA only" applies only to automatic reinstatement only, and that travel on a partner airline requires you to call in get reinstatement of miles. Would be nice if AA would be a little clearer on this point.